6 folks turned out for our first Streaming Replication lab day. Here’s what we accomplished:
– lively discussion about the different pieces involved (WAL files, various GUCs, etc)
– worked on a step-by-step cheatsheet
– got sr running between two vms, between two Pg instances on the same VM on different ports, and between two Pg instances on the same VM via unix sockets
– learned some new tools (terminator, anyone?)
– spread the \e love
There will be a followup to this lab, as we didn’t cover everything we wanted to, and (of course) created more questions for ourselves.
Thanks to everyone who attended for taking time to hang out inside on a sunny day, and to EDB and Emma for lunch and facilities!
Our next regular meeting will be Thursday Feb 20th; watch for the announcement next week.
When: 7-9pm Thu Jan 16, 2014
Who: Peter Geoghegan
What: “Something UPSERT-y”
Peter Geoghegan, currently an engineer at Heroku, has made a number of notable contributions to PostgreSQL:
– Modifying pgstatstatements, the contrib module that logs frequently executed queries, to support the normalization of non-prepared queries.
– Contributing a performance optimization to PostgreSQL 9.2, with which the sorting of scalar types like integers has been considerably sped-up. This has been observed to result in an over 30% performance improvement in execution time for some simple queries with ORDER BY clauses, an improvement that holds up well as the size of the underlying table grows.
– Introducing a series of changes to PostgreSQL to improve its power consumption when idle, by eliminating the busy-waiting that previously prevented CPUs from entering idle states.
Peter’s going to talk about his work on UPSERT and logical replication.
Our meeting will be held at Iovation, on the 32nd floor of the US Bancorp Tower at 111 SW 5th (5th & Oak). It’s right on the Green & Yellow Max lines. Underground bike parking is available in the parking garage; outdoors all around the block in the usual spots. No bikes in the office, sorry!
Building security will close access to the floor at 7:30.
See you there!